Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Internship Spotlight: Steph

Steph - World Wildlife Fund
Yes, that is really Steph in the panda suit!

One of the most important parts of effective communication is engagement.  And what better way to engage your audience than to put on a giant panda suit and over-exaggerate every motion?!

Don't worry, that was just one time.... I really do work... really!  I'm completing my internship at World Wildlife Fund in Toronto.  Every day I'm surrounded by some of the most inspiring people I've ever met.  They all share my values of conservation, environmentalism, and of course, communicating science to the general public.  

I have been learning the communications ropes, with the help of lovely and enthusiastic coworkers.  Learning what goes on behind the scenes at an organization that I've been interested in my whole life, is very exciting.  There are so many aspects that I never really thought about: strategic partnerships, major donor relations, event planning, working with other NGOs, collaborating with the many WWF offices around the world, and so on.  They are all very obviously important, but new to me.  Seeing everyone working together internally in Toronto and across the country (and world) is wonderful.  I even feel that I am getting business experience as well as communications experience, just by talking to various people in different departments around the office.

My favorite part of this internship, however, has been meeting with people that have been at the company for a number of years, working in conservation, arctic, freshwater, and climate change programs, etc.  They have given me some great advice, and contacts I may be able to use to further my career - it's who you know, right?

All in all, I am enjoying my internship greatly. I am inspired, encouraged, and excited for what the future holds - all thanks to the Science Communication program!

No comments:

Post a Comment