From Ellen:
Four weeks ago, I started interning at
Alternatives Journal, and so far I’ve found it a great fit given my
wide-ranging interests.
Based in Kitchener, Ontario, Alternatives
is Canada’s oldest environmental magazine. Because the Alternatives team is a
small one, each person – including me - is responsible for a range of tasks. In
my short time here I have fact checked articles, taken subscriptions, written a
short article, and other miscellaneous tasks. The bulk of my time, though, has
been spent on this year’s edition of Alternatives’ annual Environmental
Education Directory: a guide to Canadian universities for prospective
undergraduate students.
Having earned a biology degree and spent
most of my career cleaning up after animals, working at a magazine is a big
change. Fortunately some aspects of my background are also useful here. Environment-focused courses and jobs
have familiarized me with many of
the topics covered in the magazine. Also, my experience with university
environmental programs and student organizations helps me when I’m interviewing
faculty, staff, and students for the education directory: I know what information
will interest the kind of student who reads Alternatives, so I know what
questions to ask. My research skills are getting a workout, too!
One part of the Science Communication
program that has proven particularly useful is the Mass Media section on
interviews. Even though my interviews are very informal and not recorded for
the world to see or hear, it is still helpful to have had some experience
writing good questions and guiding interviewees through the process. The
journalism guest lectures and workshops also provided valuable insight into the
world of science writing for a non-specialist audience.
The friendly staff at Alternatives have
made me feel at home my first month. Now I’m looking forward to whatever the next
one has in store!

No comments:
Post a Comment