The creativity element was one that I
hadn’t considered, but has impacted me the most. Through this program, we’ve
learned to marry the science with our passions, skills, and personal interests.
We’ve been encouraged to explore every domain, to paint the world with science,
and by experimentation, learn to communicate through a myriad of mediums.
| Hard at work during Wiebke's workshop! |
Of course, I can’t forget to mention the
masterful creations by my talented classmates. I constantly find myself filled
with excitement and wonder when watching them exhibit their projects. I’ve sat
in admiration watching some turn an exponential graph into a building song,
create an endearing storybook for young children, propose a bacteria paint
night, and bake climate change into a cake (yes, it was quite delicious).
The brilliance of this program is that with
all of us coming from varying scientific backgrounds and worldwide locations,
the way we approach science communication is multifaceted and unique. We learn
from our courses, but we also learn from each other.
Likewise, our instructors also come from
diverse backgrounds, allowing us to experience many different perspectives and
disciplines. The concepts introduced in each course can be carried over to the
others, and as a result, our communication repertoires have expanded with each
new direction we take in class.
Early on in our
first term, we were privileged to participate in a 3-day intensive filmmaking workshop
led by Dr. Wiebke Finkler of New Zealand, whose directorial knowledge and love
of whales were equally inspirational. Later on, we were also visited by Julia
Krolik, creator of Art the Science (https://artthescience.com/), whose projects
sing of ingenuity and innovation. Both of these women employ their diverse
interests to produce awe-inspiring bodies of work in the spirit of science.
| Art the Science founder Julia Krolik. |
I often think of this program as a long
corridor lined with rooms, with each door representing an invitation to try our
hand at a new form of science communication. Some rooms I’ve enjoyed more than
others, but I’ve left every one having gained new insights and skills. I’ve
learned to go beyond writing, where I feel most comfortable, and instead
transform the science and my ideas into tangible objects and new technologies.
Science can sometimes feel limiting in its
creative license, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s possible to combine your
passions in science with art or technology, and let the world see the unique
creations that result. It also doesn’t need to be an overwhelming or daunting
task, you simply must allow yourself to explore this field through different
lenses, always keeping the science message en tĂȘte.
- Meerna Homayed
No comments:
Post a Comment